Samstag, 2. März 2013

my hair journey: how to care for red hair & maintain vibrancy

Disclaimer: i'm by no means a professional - if you are concerned using some of the mentioned products then consider your local beauty salon for advice or google! i just share my experiences with you and show you how i do it cause' it works for me.

yeh dem b!tches be like "care, care, care" - BUT hair care becomes slightly different when you are a red head! The better you care for your hair with the right products, the longer you will enjoy a vibrant color - no you really don't want to run around with hair looking all faded and... just meh!!!




g e n e r a l
as we know from our research, red color molecules mostly sit on the surface of our hair because they are too big for our hair cuticles to fully absorb. each time you wash your hair it will bleed out - there is no way of avoiding it. especially if you wash it on a daily basis or every second day + overkill factor: warm/hot water. i wash my hair in cold water only - how i do it without freezing my whole body, i'll explain later. combining both, daily washing + warm/hot water, i'll promise you that your red color will fade super fast. that's why i wash my hair max. 3 times a week - usually 2 times, when i was out clubbin or whatever doin things that affect the freshness of my hair i wash it 3 times, otherwise just 2 times. you think that's gross?! jezz a bit oil is so good for our hair - it's natural!! - washing your hair on a daily basis will damage it anyways and might cause a dry scalp! sure it depends if you have naturally greasy hair or not, but if you have let's say "normal" grease excess then 2 times a week is just fine! but here's another tip, use dry shampoo between your washing days - it's not at all old fashioned, it works super well and gives back freshness by absorbing the grease in your hair + it smells nice. 





p r o d u c t s
  • "reviting reds" shampoo & conditioner (see first picture), amazon
  • "gliss kur" marrakesh oil & coconut intensive hair mask, dm
  • "alverde" almond & argan hair oil, dm
  • "balea" trend it up dry shampoo, dm



bleeding love *sing*

m y  r o u t i n e
as i said before i wash my hair in cold water, so obviously i don't want my whole body to freeze the sh!t out of it - that's why i wash it separately. see how it bleeds out even with cold water? the thought of how bad it would bleed out even more with hot water gives me shivers!!! i wash it headover in the tub first, using both my reviting reds shampoo & conditioner. those products are indeed red! they are red tinted and color depositing products, that's why they help you to maintain your color a little better and longer. we aren't talking about general products for colored hair, these goodies are explicit for red hair because they contain red pigments - yes they will stain your hands a bit, but that fades after washing your hands with soap or showering your body.

shampoo above, conditioner below

when i put on the conditioner i also add some of my hair mask and massage it all in. instead of hangin over the tub for 8-10 minutes like a weirdo. i slightly wring out my hair and wrap it in an extra towel - then i shower my body as usual, having both products in my wet hair which i wrapped up. that works just fine and i can have both, warm shower & cold hair wash!! after showering i simply hang over my head again and wash it out! that's all, actually not much more effort than doing it the other way round - that way it's much easier to leave in the mask/conditioner. my hair really feels awesomely soft and it's somehow easier to straighten!! of course i use a heat protector before doing so. super shiny!

stained hands - but no biggie!



after that i just massage a little bit of my almond/argan oil into the tips of my damp hair and let it air dry - another amazing tip! cold washing + air drying really helps your hair to shine, stay healthy and on top of that it maintains your color way longer! although the reviting reds products help for vibrancy they do not replace a touch up! the difference after using it isn't phenomenal, but you can clearly see that it helps a bit. in my next post i'll write about how i touch up my roots and what i use on my hair length to touch up! i just ordered two different semi permanent hair dye, manic panic amplified in vampire red (more a blueish red) and directions in poppy red (more a pinkish hotter red) however these are vegan dyes, you can mix them and they don't damage your hair because they don't contain ammonia or other aggressive chemicals - they are even cruelty free!! but you will read about both in my next post.





one last tip: when you use dry shampoo between your hair washes then you won't have problems with grease or whatever. i'm not sure yet if this product is the right one for me but til now it works. 2 days after washing my hair i spray little strand by strand on my upper sections, run a towel gently through my hair and brush it out - no leftovers but freshness instead!


Keine Kommentare: